Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This I Believe...


My Hometown is a very liberal place. I grew up surrounded by earthy-crunchy hippies, gay and lesbian couples, organic foods and care for the environment. This, I believe, is why I think recycling is so important. At first, I never questioned the importance of recycling. To me, it was just another chore to do around the house. As I grew older I started to wonder why we recycled. My mother is a surgical nurse and she would come home with loads of unused hospital materials to donate to The Scrap Exchange. The Scrap Exchange is a nonprofit “reuse center” where people of all ages come together to create artwork out of materials that would have been thrown away. Not only does it promote recycling and creativity, it also raises environmental awareness about what we can do to help.
This organization is one that I grew up with. I was only allowed to go as a reward for doing something good and tons of my friends had their birthday parties at The Scrap Exchange, too. I always felt so special when I went with my mom to drop off all the materials from the hospital. It really made me feel important and like I was making a difference. Today, I don’t make as many deliveries with my mom but, I do use The Scrap Exchange in a different way; for ART! I believe in homemade Halloween costumes. I believe in making egg carton caterpillars with the kids I nanny for. I believe in turning toilet paper rolls into spyglasses or megaphones! I believe in making something beautiful out of something ordinary. One mans trash is another mans treasure, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment